Thursday, January 12, 2012

Wild Rice Soup

The Date: 12 January 2012

The Occasion: I've had this page marked with a post-it in the cookbook for months now, but never got around to making it. This week, I put it on the menu.

One of us liked it. Guess who.
The Recipe: From this Betty Crocker book.

How it Went:
This was an easy soup to make! I really liked it. Husband said he wouldn't mind not eating it again... but yet he did have three bowls-ful. I guess that means it wasn't too bad. It probably won't be a regular menu item, but I'm glad I gave it a try. I enjoyed it.

What You Need:
celery
carrots
onion
bell pepper
flour
black pepper
cooked wild rice (more on this later)
water
chicken broth
milk or half&half

Your Turn:
Gather your vegetables: 2 stalks celery, 2 carrots, 1 onion, and 1 red or green bell pepper.


Slice the celery.
Shred the carrots with a vegetable peeler.
Chop the onion and pepper.


Saute these in butter or olive oil with some basil, thyme, and other soup herbs for a few minutes until tender.

Stir in 3 T flour, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper.

Stir in 1-2 C water, depending on how dense you want the soup, 1 can chicken broth, and 1&1/4 C cooked wild rice.

The recipe calls for "1 pouch (from 10 oz package) frozen cooked wild rice (1&1/4 C)." I didn't look for frozen cooked wild rice, frankly, but I found this at ALDI and it seemed like it would work perfectly. I know Uncle Ben's makes a similar microwavable pouch of rice, and I think this would be the easiest method of getting your cooked rice. I suppose you could also cook some, if you keep that kind of thing around anyway, but this was a perfect solution for me. Cook this while you're slicing up your vegetables. Then add it with the water and broth.


Heat to boiling, then reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

This is a good time to make some parmesan toast or maybe your lunches for tomorrow.

After 15 minutes, stir in 1 C milk or half&half and a shake of dried parsley (or some chopped fresh parsley).

Serve with rolls or toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment