Thursday, May 17, 2012

Tilapia: Two Ways

The Occasion: My first two attempts at cooking tilapia. I have never eaten seafood. I mean, I've had fish a few times, but I just have never enjoyed or chosen to eat any seafood. But I'd been starting to feel like there's only so many things I can make with chicken and ham and ground turkey (we don't eat much beef), so I decided to give fish a try. Both of these recipes were quick, very easy, and quite tasty. I'll definitely make both of them again.

The Recipes: The basic cooking instructions were from the back of the tilapia package. I bought the fish, frozen in individual fillets, at ALDI. The flavors and spices were of my own invention.

First, Baked Lemon Dill Tilapia.

How it Went:
This was quite yummy. The flavors blended really nicely and we both really enjoyed it. I served it with rice and veggies sauteed in olive oil and herbs.

What You Need:
tilapia fillets
olive oil
lemon pepper
dried dill

Your Turn:
Defrost your tilapia fillets. I did this in the microwave, but you're not really supposed to do that. It's best to let them come to room temperature in a dish of warm water.

Place fillets in a baking dish and preheat oven to 400.

Drizzled olive oil, maybe 2-3 T, over the fish.

Sprinkle with lemon pepper (mine is in a grinder) and dried dill leaves.

Bake for about 10 minutes, or until fillets flake easily when forked.


Second, Fried Tilapia Fillets

How it Went:
I loved this! I'm excited to make it again, actually. My family never thought I'd say this about fish!!

What You Need:
tilapia fillets
flour
salt
pepper
coriander
onion powder
seasoned salt (such as Season-All)

Your Turn:
Defrost your fillets. (Breading below was enough for three fillets.)

Combine about 1/2 C flour with 1/2 tsp each of salt, pepper, coriander, and onion powder. Add a few shakes of seasoned salt.

In a medium skillet, heat a few tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. 

Toss each fillet in the flour mixture, then fry it in the oil for 1-3 minutes per side, until golden brown.

This is delicious with homemade macaroni and cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment