Thursday, November 17, 2011

Crock Pot Beef Stew

The Date: 16 November 2011

The Occasion: Since I rush off to Bible Study on Wednesdays after dinner, it's nice to have an easy meal that night. Crock pot meals are great, and this is a spin on my usual crock pot stew.

The Recipe: From this website, with just a few modifications.

How it Went: We loved it! Pete commented last time I made stew that it was too brothy and would be nice a bit thicker. This accomplished that, although I'm sure his love of yummy canned stews makes this still more like soup than his idea of beef stew. It was good, though, and I'll use this recipe again next time.

What You Need:
stew beef
carrots
onions
potatoes
celery
flour
pepper & salt
Worcestershire sauce
onion soup mix
broth
paprika
garlic powder
bay leaf

Your Turn:
Chop up
  • 3 smallish potatoes (in 1/2 inch cubes)
    (I used both red-skinned and Yukon gold. Any type should work)
  • a handful of baby carrots (in half)
  • 1 medium onion (not too small; keep the pieces fork-able, not diced fine)
  • 1 - 2 stalks celery
Set this aside.

Chop 1 lb of stew beef into small pieces. (Cutting each chunk in half worked for me.) Put the meat in the crock pot.

Mix up
  • 2 T flour
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper

Toss this with the beef to coat.

Now, add the vegetables along with
  • 1 packet onion soup mix
  • 2 C water
  • 1/2 C broth, if you like it brothier
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder

Stir to blend all ingredients.

Cook on low for about 10 hours, then serve. I actually halved the original recipe because I have a small crock pot and I only cook for two. It can easily be doubled up again to feed a larger crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment