Thursday, March 1, 2012

Lemon and Thyme Chicken Stir Fry

The Date: 1 March 2012

The Occasion: I love stir fry, especially with chicken and veggies, and I hadn’t made one in a while. This was a recipe I tried first about a year ago and I wanted to make it again.

The Recipe: From Betty Crocker’s 2010 Annual Recipes Cookbook


How it went: A few things about cooking tonight were not ideal. My lemon pepper had gotten moist or something. The texture was all wrong. But I used it anyway and it tasted fine. I also forgot to get crunchy noodles as topping for the stir fry but I used sunflower seeds instead which added the texture I was looking for. 

The recipe calls for angel hair pasta, which I’ve used before, but tonight I did it with white rice. Either one is good. I omit the cherry tomatoes but add water chestnuts. You can add snap peas, zucchini, cauliflower, or any other veggies you’d like.

What You Need:
2-3 chicken breasts
1 onion
1 medium crown broccoli
1 green bell pepper
1/2 red bell pepper
1 C baby carrots, quartered
1 can water chestnuts
1 C chicken broth
1 tsp dried thyme leaves
1 tsp grated lemon peel or lemon juice
4 tsp corn starch
1 & 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
3-4 C cooked angel hair pasta or rice

Your turn:
Cook rice or pasta as directed.

Cut broccoli, peppers, and carrots. Set aside in large bowl. Add water chestnuts.

Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes. Slice onion into wedges. Cook together in olive or vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle with some salt.

Add vegetables and cover. Cook about 10 minutes over low-medium heat until vegetables are crisp-tender.


Whisk together
· 1 C chicken broth
· 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
· 1 tsp grated lemon peel or lemon juice
· 4 tsp corn starch
· 1 & 1/2 tsp lemon pepper

Add to chicken mixture, when the vegetables are cooked, and stir. Let simmer, covered, several more minutes, until sauce thickens and everything is coated.

Serve over rice or pasta with crunchy noodles, peanuts, or sunflower seeds on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment