Saturday, February 21, 2015

Cranberry Almond Scones

The Recipe: From a friend who I met when I studied abroad. She handwrote her recipe for me, and it's still the one I use. It's for plain scones, but she has some suggestions listed for variations. This variation is actually not one she suggested, but I was inspired by some cranberry almond scones I saw on Pinterest, so I made the adaptation myself. I made a few other changes to her recipe: I halved everything, and I baked it in wedges. Her original is double of this, but instructs you to bake them in individual balls. That works too, but I loved doing it this way!


What You Need:
2 C flour
6 T sugar
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 C butter
3/4 C milk or buttermilk
1 tsp almond extract
about 1/2 C dried cranberries
about 1/2 C sliced almonds

Your Turn:
Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl.

Heat the butter and milk in a saucepan until the butter melts.

Mix wet and dry ingredients together.

Mix in almond extract, almonds, and cranberries. I eyeballed the amounts for the nuts and berries. Exact amounts are not crucial.

Using your hands, form the dough into a round, about 9 - 10 inches across. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using a sharp knife, cut into eight wedges.

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

Remove from oven. Using metal spatula, or something similar, separate the wedges from one another and put a little space between them.

Bake another 4 - 5 minutes until edges are golden.

Enjoy with coffee! 

No comments:

Post a Comment