Sunday, October 16, 2011

Cinnamon-Pecan Bread Pudding Cake

The Date: 16 October 2011

The Occasion: My homemade bread got a little too stale to eat. I was going to make croutons, but I gave in to my sweet tooth and decided I'd rather have bread pudding to eat all week.

The Recipe: From Paula Deen at foodnetwork.com, with some modifications.

How it Went:
I made this one time before, and it was perfect. This time I didn't have pecans, so I had to make it sans pecans. Also, the sugar seemed a bit much. I've cut down the sugar quantities in the recipe below. It's a wonderful indulgence dessert to make for yourself, but also nice enough to serve to guests.

Your Turn:
Cut slightly stale bread into cubes, about 6 cups cubed bread.

Mix in a large bowl
Bread soaking, sugar and butter being blended.
  • 1 and 3/4 cups sugar
  • 5 beaten eggs
  • 1 and 3/4 cups milk
Then stir in 2 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp cinnamon.


Pour this mixture over the bread. Let it sit for about 15 minutes.

Mix together
  • half a stick of butter
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup chopped pecans
Pour bread mixture into greased pan (9x13 or a smaller casserole if you like it deeper). Sprinkle brown sugar and nut mixture over the top.

A little juicy. Too much sugar in this batch.
Bake for 35-45 minutes (longer if you're using a deeper pan) at 350. You want it not to be jiggly when you take it out. If it jiggles, give it another minute or two, then check again.

This time mine turned out a little juicy. There was too much sugar, and I think too much milk. Now, Paula Deen's recipe calls for just 3 cups of bread. But I used almost six. So I can't fathom how juicy her pudding must be! I like it more like a bread pudding cake - something you can cut slices of.

No comments:

Post a Comment